Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Teaser Tuesday - From Chocolate to Morphine

I've only just started reading this book, so I don't really know what to make of it, but the subject matter is interesting.

Personally, I'm not a fan of drugs, regardless of whether they're prescription, over the counter or illegal. They do have their place in treating illness, but they're an absolute last resort for me, and I think our culture has become over-reliant on them. I will take them with caution, after research, when I need to, but if I can avoid them, I do.

That said, I'm still very interested in how they work, the social challenges around them and their history. The history of marijuana in the US is especially interesting, and it's a shame the plant itself isn't explored more extensively for its medicinal uses.

Thanks, as always, goes out to MizB over at Should Be Reading for hosting this game.


"Whether a drug is legal or illegal, approved or disapproved, obtained from a physician or bought on the black market, if the user is aware of its nature, can maintain a useful effect from it over time, can easily separate himself or herself from it, and can remain free from adverse effects, that is a good relationship with the drug.
Bad relationships with drugs begin with ignorance of the nature of the substance and loss of the desired effect with increasing frequency of use, and progress to difficulty in leaving the drug alone, with eventual impairment of health or social functioning." - From Chocolate to Morphine: Everything You Need to Know About Mind Altering Drugs, by Andrew Well MD & Winifred Rosen

6 comments:

  1. I've learned the other day, that bottlenose dolphins use pufferfish to get stoned :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard that somewhere, too. XD Always knew dolphins were the hippies of the animal world.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you. I don't take anything I don't absolutely have too. But I do use many natural remedies and they really work.
    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/01/06/teaser-tuesdays-94-awol/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I'm big on natural remedies, too. They're usually so much easier on the body than pharmaceuticals, and many of them do work wonders.

      Delete
  3. Visiting from BlogHer...After major back surgery I was on a very powerful patch administered drug. I couldn't wait to get off of it and the pain pills that followed. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. :) Oh, that sounds awful. I hope your back is better, and you don't need to go through that again! The only pain drug I've been put on was Vicodin for after my two wisdom teeth surgeries (big mess), and I hated how it made me feel. Though, I have to admit, it did take care of the pain.

      So far, it is a very interesting book. The authors seem to take a very neutral stance, and make it a point to differentiate between "drug use" (where the user isn't addicted to the drug, benefits outweigh the side effects) and "drug abuse" (where user is addicted, the abuse is negatively effecting their life in some way), which I really like.

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!