Thursday, January 1, 2015

Hello there, 2015!

I downloaded this calender here.
Ah, the New Year. Time of resolutions, hope and dropping balls.

Also hangovers. I'm done with drinking for a while.

Suffice to say, I didn't do so well with upholding the schedule I'm trying to get in the habit of sticking with today. Ugh.

Last night was pretty fun, at least. We rang in the new year with a combination of Alaska State Troopers, champagne and Kung Fu Hustle. Oh, yeah. We're total party animals AND dignified to boot.

You're all jealous. I know. It's ok.

Anyway, this year, I'm trying this thing called "Don't Break the Chain".

Long story short, the idea is to determine something you'd like to do regularly, and mark off every day that you actually manage to do it.

I'm going to do yoga every day and walk/run every other day. I don't know how well it shows up in the picture, but I've established a gold X for yoga, and a green circle for running. I did both today, so tomorrow will be my off day for running.

While I'm not one for resolutions, I do know that January 1st is a convenient way of kicking off new habits. That said, here are a few of the things I hope to accomplish this year in addition to making my lifestyle a bit more active:
  • Finish the zero drafts of two partially completed novels in the five part series I'm working on
  • Get at least one short story published in print (though I won't argue with more than one)
  • Place in at least one contest
  • Bring in some more money, since I didn't bring in as much as I would have liked during 2014. That'll probably involve getting a part time job outside the house in addition to my writing.
So, there we have it. I wonder if I can find a way to display those goals prominently in my home as reminders.

Hm. Might need to get crafty with it.

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years, and I wish you all a joyous 2015!

6 comments:

  1. Resolutions are hard and maybe sometimes or even most times they do fail, but it doesn't change that January 1 is a good day to set new goals for the upcoming year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with your goals of running and yoga. Two things that I want to be more deliberate about this year also! I like choosing a "word for the year" to focus on. It seems to help me focus on what's important. Glad I stopped by from NaBloPoMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how hard it is to get out and exercise, isn't it? Our bodies are literally built for movement, but we get so lost in the every day that we lose touch with our own natures.

      The word of the year thing does sound like a good idea! Thank you for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of checking off when you do something -- rather than trying to do it absolutely every day. I might try that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth a try. :) I like the idea of having something so visual to help remind me of how far I've come and to keep some sort of track of my progress.

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!