Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Teaser Tuesday - 15 Minute Yoga

Have you voted yet today? If so, good for you! If not, I hope you get to it eventually. Hubby and I will be going after he gets home from work.

Anyway, I've decided to start doing yoga on a daily basis again. I have scoliosis in my upper back, and when I neglect it, I pay for it with pain and worsened asthma. Surprise, surprise, that's been happening. So, it's time for a change in routine.

A number of years ago, I picked up the 15 Minute Yoga Box, by Barbara Currie. It's a small book with cards detailing beginner yoga poses and instructions on how to do them. I've taken part in enough yoga classes and events to know when instructions are wonky, and how not to hurt myself while doing the poses. I don't generally buy into exercise or diet fads, but this little box has helped me in the past.

Since today's Tuesday, and I skipped the last Teaser Tuesday, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, I'll just post a little teaser from this book.

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

"Once the mind is quiet and calmed by deep breathing, yoga exercises, and meditation, we can then learn to control our minds and discipline them to create and enjoy our heart's desires. This power is not unusual, we are in fact using it every moment of every day: it is the power of our imagination." - 15 Minute Yoga, by Barbara Currie

Please remember, while this philosophy has helped me and others like me, that doesn't mean I'm saying it works for everyone, or that it's a cure for any sort of mental illness, like depression. We all walk our own paths, and we are the only ones who can decide which turns work best for us.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad the yoga is helpful to you. My cousin and her parents swear it helps them too. They've all been doing it a long time and can do these amazing poses that just blow my mind. I'm thinking about trying it myself to help with my lower back pain. thanks for sharing! Here's my TT. Happy reading! Glad you're voting today! I voted last week in early voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister actually teaches yoga, but I haven't been all that serious about it. I can't do any crazy poses, though maybe I will be able to one day. I'm not a fan of exercising in public, so this box thing is perfect for me.

      The best thing about it is that you can go at your own pace. Take it slow, stretch only as far as you can, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress with time. If you try it, I hope it works out for you!

      Yay early voting! Good for you. :)

      Delete
  2. I just recently started yoga and it's less painful now that it was. I really only feel it in my hamstrings now, not everywhere like I did a couple of classes ago. I'm surprised at the strength I didn't know I had in a couple of the poses, though my flexibility is so obviously lacking. I enjoy it though and plan to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're seeing results! Yoga is pretty neat, especially when you notice improvements. Flexibility will come with time. My hamstrings always seem to be the most tense part of my body, too.

      Delete
  3. I should start again too! I did yoga years ago till life and all got in the way. It would sure help my aging stiff back. So glad you chose this book for your TT!
    Mine is from Two Graves by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child at http://wp.me/pZnGI-fo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life does have a funny way of doing that. :) Hope it'll help your back if you do decide to pick it up again!

      Delete
  4. I kind of like the idea behind this, even if it might not work for everyone. And who couldn't use just a little more control over their minds/lives every now and again? Cool pick for your teaser!!

    Here are Mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! My life's improved a lot since adopting this way of thinking. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Yoga used to help me with my stress and body aches. Been a long time since I did it. I'm thinking I need it again:)
    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/11/04/teaser-tuesdays-88-real-elves-an-emily-castle-mystery/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tickled at how many people have been helped by yoga! It's really a remarkable system.

      Delete
  6. hi! just found your blog through nablopomo and have added it to my reading list. looking forward to your posts!

    cindy :)
    www.yogaandalatte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I thought I'd replied to this, but my comment isn't showing up. Ah well, let's try this again. ;)

      Thanks! I've checked out your blog and am doing the same. :)

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!