Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Open Lines of Communication

November's been a rough month, so far. Besides the cold and assorted stressors, my husband has been
Pick up the phone, shoot an e-mail, if something's bugging
you, talking it out might help.
[Public Domain] by Jonathan Valesquez
acting like something of a jerk. He's been having a hard time at work, our car would fit better in a junkyard than on the road, and next week promises to be very stressful, though fun. So, I've been doing my best to be supportive and tolerant.

Still, It's all been getting me down, but I don't think he'd really realized it until last night. This morning, he apologized for his behavior and thanked me for doing what I do for him. I do feel better, now, and hopefully, the day will mark better times. This evening is reserved just for us. No computer for either one of us, just a movie, popcorn, maybe a beer or two and kitties, should they deign to join us.

But this little hiccup highlights just how important communication is in any relationship, especially close ones. I'll freely admit that I'm pretty terrible at it. Ironic for a writer, huh?

I'm one of those people who internalizes things, puts up with the bad stuff in the relationships that matter the most, and eventually breaks down under the pressure. I've been like that since childhood. I like to think I'm starting to get better, but I still have a long way to go.

Now, I'm not a big New Years Resolutions girl, but if I were to make one, I think becoming a better communicator would be it. The others would be things like exercising every day, making enough from my fiction to support us and ending world hunger.

As for now? I need to get back to my NaNoWriMo project. I know I'm going to break 40K words today. Hopefully, I'll make it past 45K. I have a few more plot bunnies to nurture, and a story to resolve in just over 10K words. I plan on getting that done this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!