Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Neighbor Mows His Lawn in the Rain

I should write a book about some of the strange things that people do in this neighborhood.
Little wonder I'm having such a hard time lately.
Cold and lack of sunlight is hard on me.

It's a miserable out there, today. Cold, overcast and rainy, with an occasional snowflake making an appearance. Everything's damp and generally rather depressing.

That doesn't stop my neighbor from mowing his lawn, though. Nope, he's out there, bundled against the cold and damp, alternating between using his weed-whacker and lawnmower on the damp grass.

Scratch that, I think he's trying to use his leaf blower on the sodden leaves.

As if that weren't odd enough, he's been known to do yard work in the middle of the night, as has one of our other neighbors.

That's not the strangest thing that's happened since we moved here, though.
  • We've had most of a shop vac stolen. They left the hose in our yard.
  • Hubby fell a small dead tree a couple of years after we moved in. When he went in to get a drink of water before chopping it up, someone dragged it off our property and drove off with it.
  • A plastic lawn chair magically appeared next to our garage. We later found out one of our neighbors picked it up somewhere and thought we'd want it.
Not to mention some of the downright weird conversations I've been coaxed into.

Just yesterday, in fact, as I walked home from voting, a guy paused in his conversation on the phone, and asked if I'd settle an argument for him by answering an awkward question.

This hasn't been the best week for me, and I knew I was either in for a laugh or embarrassment. I figured I'd take the chance and agreed.

"If a guy came up to you and asked if you had sex with a person, would a yes answer indicate you did it once, or more than once?"

He asked this with complete sincerity, and I saw absolutely nothing untoward in his expression or body language, but I was still understandably taken aback for a moment. My first urge was to say something along the lines of, "Well, I'd answer the question with 'none of your business'", but I felt that response was uncalled for in that particular situation.

After a moment's thought, I replied, "I'd say it could mean once."

He thanked me very politely, then returned to his conversation with, "I just asked someone AND THEY AGREED WITH ME! HAH! TOLD YOU!"

I had to laugh. Just another bit of strangeness to add to the list.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, I found you via the NaBloPoMo blogroll.

    I love the person taking the dead tree. Who knows what happened to that tree? It could be having a second life as someones special tree sculpture, draped with crystals in a loft somewhere. It could be on a roof somewhere holding someones antennae in place. Maybe someone spraypainted it silver or gold. Maybe someone sold it on craigslist as "Shabby Chic" - or worse, as I recently saw it on a classifieds Facebook group, Shabby Chick.

    We have not had a lot of strange things happen here. Oh wait, I tell a lie. One morning there was no water, and it turns out someone turned off our water and stole our tap. :)

    As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can, and I also add participating blogs to my feed reader.

    So I'm just dropping by to let you know I've added your blog to my feedreader, I'm reading you loud and clear, I have a link up going at my place so my readers can find participating blogs which you are more than welcome to add your blog link to.

    Looking forward to seeing your posts, and you'll likely see me drop by again during November.

    Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
    Snoskred
    www.snoskred.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Snoskred!

      I do sometimes wonder what happened to that tree. It seems as if whoever took it had been keeping an eye on it, since they stole it so soon after it came down.

      Strange that stole your tap and turned off your water! People can be so strange.

      I'll be checking your page out shortly. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. This is good stuff. Your neighborhood should keep you full of writing ideas.
    I saw your blog on the NaBloPoMo, and after having checked out like, more than ten, yours is the first one that I've seen that has written daily. I think.
    Anyway, happy writing!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does! I live just within the boarder of a medium to large, mostly liberal city, so we get all kinds here. :)

      I have been doing by best to post every day. I think I missed one day already, but hopefully that won't be happening again.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!