Saturday, November 8, 2014

Beautiful Writing

I stayed up until about three in the morning, last night, working on my project for NaNoWriMo. Since I was still nursing a migraine hangover for the majority of the day, I ended up minimizing my time on the computer
by doing my writing by hand.

As I wrote, I remembered how lovely the physical act of writing is. The elegant sweep of the pen followed by a clean line of ink has a certain romance to it. Even when the resulting handwriting is as juvenile as mine is, I still find the act enchanting.

I also enjoyed the play of shadows on the empty, white page, and the intricate motion executed by the hand manipulating the pen. I've noticed the loveliness in that movement years ago, but I've never really talked about it.

Typing is somewhat hypnotic, as well, especially when the typist is trained in touch-typing. It's a different sort of aesthetic, though. Typing is relatively new, where writing has been with us for centuries in various shapes and forms.

Like clothing making and cooking, writing is one of those ancient arts often taken for advantage today. Perhaps part of why I enjoy the act so much is because of that connection to generations past.


6 comments:

  1. You're so right. There is something about the pen telling your story on paper that is enchanting. Loved your paragraph about the play of shadows on the page, and the intricate motion executed by the hand manipulating the pen. The photo and video were a great touch too! Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm happy you liked this entry. :)

      Delete
  2. You captured the feel of pen and paper, hand and mind so poetically. Glad I stumbled on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Emilie there is something very gratifying in watching the word 'pictures' move across the page - more engaging. I hope the migraine hangover has lifted and you're well enough to continue with your challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not alone. Thanks so much for reading and the well wishes, Linda!

      I'm doing much better now, though I'm again behind on the challenge. LOL That'll change once I get something in my belly. Hunger is always distracting when there's story telling to be done. ;)

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!