Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Sound of All Hallow's Eve

As a way to get myself geared up for NaNoWriMo in November (which may not be well advised,
By Anette B. (Own work) [Public domain],
via Wikimedia Commons
considering my sister's wedding is on my birthday at the end of that month), I decided to take part in this month's NaBloPoMo with BlogHer.

Today's prompt asks what my favorite autumnal sound is.

For whatever reason, fall has always been a bit of a melancholy season for me. Maybe it's because I've moved around so much, or I'm reminded me of the more painful changes in my life. I look at the beautiful colors and a tinge of sadness tightens my chest.

Halloween, however, has always brightened the season for me. Dressing up, playing with the spookier side of life and studying up on the paranormal are three of my favorite things.

But the sound of little voices echoing down our suburban block when night falls? That's my favorite sound. Their youthful excitement, the innocent joy and the sugar-fueled activity is charming beyond compare.

It's almost as fun handing candy out to costumed little ones as it was being a little one allowed to ask for sweets.

Then again, that might change when I have little ones of my own. It may turn from nostalgia and wistfulness into little more than yearning for sleep and thinking of how to ration the Halloween Haul well enough to prevent extra visits to the dentist.

I hope not. One of the best parts of being an adult is giving yourself permission to be a kid from time to time.

1 comment:

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!