Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday Fictioneers - Owl Candy

I've missed a few weeks of Friday Fictioneers! Ah, life. You're good at getting in the way of blog things, aren't you?

As always, thanks to Rochelle Wisoff-Fields for hosting this uber-fun writing exercise!

Used with permission for prompt purposes. Credit goes to Kent Bonham
Genre: Family fiction
Word Count: 100
Title: Owl Candy

“Mom! Look what I found,” my little girl crowed as she plowed through the leaves covering the trail, clutching something to her chest.
“What you got, Nat?”
Brown eyes sparkling, she revealed the small bundles of fur impaled by crooked sticks. “They’re lollypops!”
My smile faded. “These aren’t sweets, baby, but they are very neat.”
“What are they?”
I took one and broke it open. “They’re owl pellets. Owls eat other animals, and these come out when they’re done. See the bones?”
The infectious smile vanished, but reappeared soon. “I wanna show Papa!”
I had to laugh. “Sure. Why not?”



16 comments:

  1. A good story, Emilie, owl candy! Why not - my brain doesn't work that fast. Good one. I like this look of your blog. It is much easier to read - for me.

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lily! Actually, owl pellets were the first things to come to mind when I saw the gross white and brown fur. Now I want to pay a visit to the Raptor Center.

      I'm happy you like the layout of this blog! I'm fond of it, too. :)

      Delete
  2. We dissected owl pellets in school -- fascinating stuff! And with a stick -- well -- yes, they could look a lot like this ....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fun! I don't think we ever dissected owl pellets growing up. I didn't even encounter them until adulthood. They're so cool.

      I can see a little kid who didn't know what they were turning them into lollies. Little Nat is probably a master mud pie maker, too.

      Delete
  3. Dear Emilie,

    You made me look. I googled 'owl pellets' and found several images. Yep. The photo is reminiscent of them. Nice job on your story.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle! I had to verify what they looked like before writing this, too. It's been a long time since I've paid our local Raptor Center a visit, but it's good to know my memory is still semi-intact. :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! My fifth grade teacher had dangly earrings she made from mouse skulls she found in various owl pellets. Yeah, pretty much everyone behaved for Mrs. Shaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Mrs. Shaw sounds like a pretty cool teacher. I wouldn't have thought to making earrings out of mouse skulls. Too neat.

      Delete
  5. Cute story..and I learned something about owl pellets today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy to offer some new knowledge, too. :)

      Delete
  6. You paint a picture of a beautiful inquisitive child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun! Love the happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your interpretation and story, Emilie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!