Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Do I Haveta? Can I Do It Tomorrow?

I'm not entirely sure of what this has to do with autumn, but today's BlogHer prompt is "What do you always put off to last minute?"

For the most part, I've gotten pretty good with procrastination. And by "good" I mean "don't do it as much".

Maybe that actually means I've gotten bad at procrastination?

Eh.

Anyway, that's true of everything, but two things: housework and phone calls.

I've always had trouble understanding low tones and quick word recall, which makes talking on the phone rather difficult. I know for a fact the second issue is connected to my learning disability, but I think the first may have to do with an undiagnosed auditory disorder. So, if I can avoid talking on the phone, I do.

As a result, certain appointments are made later than I'd like, and people who enjoy talking on the phone get annoyed with me. Well, that's life.

From my hub on asthma trigger management.
As for housework? I don't necessarily hate it, but I do get tired of it. Since I write from home, I also take care of most of the cleaning. Hubby cooks, does most of the outdoor work and works outside of the home, so it's a pretty even deal.

Other than the occasional fit of annoyance of the never-ending cycle, I have a few chronic problems that make it difficult for me: tendinitis and asthma.

I've had problems with my wrists since I was a teenager, and that's gradually grown into ongoing tendinitis problems. This year, I was actually diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. Naturally, when those things flare, things that involve any kind of hand strength get extremely difficult.

I do use braces when I feel my wrists and hands getting bad, though, so I can usually avoid lasting
pain.

The asthma, however, that can get tricky. My number one trigger is dust. Apparently, I'm highly allergic to dust mites, and there's just no avoiding those little buggers altogether.

So, I try to vacuum/sweep our floors and dust surfaces at least once a week. I wear a dust mask while doing it, too, and that sucker gets hot in the summer months. Since we have furry critters, I have to wear the mask when I clean the rat's cage and the cats' litter boxes.

Very annoying, though entertaining when salespeople ignore my "No Soliciting" sign out front, and I answer the door wearing it.

Anyway, I have some nasty chemical sensitivities, too, which means cleaners with bleach are out for me. Hubby likes to use the stuff, but I avoid it. I prefer things like vinegar, lemon, baking soda and essential oils.

Still, I end up putting housework off, especially when I have writing assignments to do. If I could afford a cleaning service, I'd get one.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer using baking soda and vinegar for cleaning, too.

    I used to hate procrastination, but I seem to be getting 'better' at procrastinating these days. That is, I'm feeling less guilty if I fail to get things done before my imaginery deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people do. They work as well as commercial cleaners, but cost less and aren't nearly as caustic, so why not, right?

      You do bring up a good point. Sticking to a strict schedule can be just as bad as chronic procrastination. Life happens, right?

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!