Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Teaser Tuesday - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Feeling crummy usually translates into lots of reading for me. This time is no different. So, here's today's Teaser Tuesday from Should Be Reading.

Anyone can take part in this meme. Here are the rules:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Since it's Banned Books Week, I figured I'd start reading one. Mark Twain's Adventures of Tom Sawyer has made some lists, and I've been meaning to read it, so here we go.

"Mary gave him a brand-new "Barlow" knife worth twelve and a half cents; and the convulsion of delight that swept his system shook him to his foundations. True, the knife would not cut anything, but it was a 'sure-enough' Barlow, and there was inconceivable grandeur in that - though where the Western boys ever got the idea that such a weapon could possibly be counterfeited to its injury is an imposing mystery and will always remain so, perhaps."

Yeah, Twain gets kinda long winded, but it's been a pretty entertaining read so far.

8 comments:

  1. Ha, this is one I read in school over fifty years ago. Imagine my surprise when years later someone decided to challenge it. Really, some of the ones they put on the list are totally ridiculous. Shannon posted about Banned Books today also at http://wp.me/p1MlLN-kx

    My TT this week is from A Pirate Looks at Fifty by Jimmy Buffett at http://wp.me/pZnGI-dJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, quite a few of them are pretty ridiculous. It makes me feel even more lucky to have grown up in a relatively liberal area in a pretty liberal family.

      Planning on checking your links. :)

      Delete
  2. I adored this book. How did it ever end up on a banned list I wonder?
    Here is my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/09/23/teaser-tuesdays-82-leaves-by-michael-baron/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking it, too. :) I discovered it was banned by some schools shortly after it was published, because Tom and Huck were the perfect examples of naughty boys, and administration was worried the kids would take after them. In more recent years, schools banned it because of the racism in the story.

      On the one hand, I can understand why that would trigger some people. On the other, it's an example of the uglier side of history, and we shouldn't try erasing it from our literature of the time. We have to learn how to take things in context and figure out how to correct those mistakes going forward, y'know?

      Delete
  3. typical long sentences of the past - great TT!
    hapPy BB reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and thank you!

      Happy BB reading to you, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Sweet! Another Banned Book! I think I read Tom Sawyer a long, long time ago, but I don't remember a whole lot. Thanks for sharing! Here are my Banned Books teasers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I came across some more on my bookshelf while I was cleaning last night, too, but since I'm already reading three books, I'll put them off for a while. ;) Yay for banned books!

      I'm enjoying Tom Sawyer. It's a fun read.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!