Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Why I Don't Do Drug Research Studies

Shortly after making that last entry about my life with asthma, I got a flyer in the mail.

I thought the inhaler would be a fitting way to block out our address.

Apparently, CRI is pretty desperate for participants in the study, since hubby and I have been seeing commercials about it for about a month, now.

I snickered a bit when I got the mail, because I'm the last person who would ever take part in a study for experimental medication.

My body's sensitive to a lot of medications out there, and I already have a very hard time trusting meds in general. I realize the FDA needs to approve prescription and over the counter drugs before they're put on the market, but I still have a hard time trusting that process for the two following reasons:
  • Pharmaceutical companies are responsible for the testing, result analysis and reporting to the FDA. That means they have the power over the information available to the FDA to judge a drug's fitness for consumption.
  • The FDA has a history of putting people with financial or personal ties to said pharmaceutical companies.
These two issues alone demonstrate a massive conflict of interest, and they have been the reason for serious medical consequences before.

Prozac is the biggest one that comes to mind, as it was only after it had been put on the market that its effects of increasing suicidal thoughts and violent actions came to light. Apparently, it may also contribute to birth defects. The drug company knew about these effects, but they kept it to themselves. Once the FDA found out, instead of pulling it from the market for further research, they required the company add that information to the labels.

There are quite a few more drugs with similar stories, but I'm not up for filling this entry up with examples of them. You can check out drugwatch for more, though.

Anyway, that's why I refuse to take a drug that's been on the market for less than 10 years. I also do my homework on it before putting it in my body, too. As I've said many times in the past, drugs are a last resort.

Needless to say, I don't intend to risk my life or health for a research study.

After going on that mental rant, I took another look at the flyer.

It's addressed to my husband.

Well, I guess they didn't want me anyway. Only problem is, he doesn't have asthma. He doesn't even have allergies, the lucky devil.

Well, CRI, looks like whoever you got our information from doesn't know what they're talking about.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Unless I'm really ill or in pain - which doesn't happen that often, thank goodness - I don't want to put chemicals in my body that may or may not help, or may cause an adverse reaction. It's my body and the only one I've got - I should respect it enough not to put potenial poisons in it without knowing what they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!

      The only reason I'd go for one is if I've already tried everything else and was very desperate. For the most part, though, nope.

      Delete

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!