Thursday, June 5, 2014

Edits - The Never Ending Job

You know the saying, "You're your own worst enemy"?

I think that applies to every single person who's ever seriously pursued an artistic occupation. In my case, I'm turning my writing into a career. Sure, it's a slow process, and I may not always write within my fields of interest when I need to bring in some quick money, but it is happening.
Is it time to edit? It's time to edit.
But, Ma-a-a! I don't WANNA edit!

The next step for me, in addition to building readership for my content writing, is to get fiction published.

And that's where my Achilles heel gets in the way.

I've always enjoyed writing stories, and I still do. Letting my imagination run free is a blast, and connecting seemingly unconnected snippets is always a challenge.

Every single one of my zero drafts? Horrible messes. Nope. No one's seeing them but me.

That's where my editing process comes in, but never seems to end. Of course, getting suggestions from a select number of people is a massive help, but every time I read through one of my stories, I always spot a sentence that doesn't look quite right, a word that needs tweaking or details I'd inadvertently left out.

It's pretty maddening. When is it time to let it rest for a while? When should I start submitting it to places?

I think everyone has to answer questions like those from time to time.

Is it good enough? Am I good enough? Will anyone like my work?

Egads.

I guess it's all a part of the growing process. I've also been entering contests since about February. In July, I've reserved a spot for a 24 hour story contest, which I'm actually rather nervous about. The goal is to write a 500 word or less story based off of a prompt the contest creators sets.

It must be completed and polished as much as possible before the 24 hour deadline is met.

Fortunately, it's on a Saturday, so my weekday blog posts won't take up any of my time.

That doesn't help a whole lot.

But there's time. I have the rest of this month and most of July to get ready. I think I'll start writing practice stories on a broad range of topics. Maybe I'll post some of them here, actually, depending on how they turn out, anyway.

We shall see what we shall see.

Come to think of it, story editing for me can be a bit like the Hotel California when I'm not careful. I may be able to shut down my word processing program any time I like, but I CAN NEVER LEAVE.

And now, I need to look up that song so it won't be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it's been approved. Thanks for dropping by!